Monday, July 30, 2007

Thank God for Starbucks



Yesterday we arrived in Guangzhou and checked into the White Swan hotel. The hotel, situated on a small island in the middle of the city is really a little haven. It is super clean, has an awesome breakfast buffet and everywhere you turn you meet other adoptive parents and their children. Internet connection is pretty expensive in the hotel, so I was thrilled to see a Starbucks only one block away - free wireless Internet and Frappuccinos - YEAH! While blogging from Starbucks, I have Maya on my lap (see picture above) and Leah sleeping on the chair across from me. Even though it is a bit tough to type one handed, it is really nice to have both my girls nearby.
Anyway, we are all doing really well. This morning we walked down to the clinic for Maya's medical examination. She is almost 16 lbs and got a clean bill of health. Tomorrow will be a free day, so I am sure that we will be spending more time in the pool and shopping in the little stores that surround the hotel. On Wednesday we will have the swearing in ceremony and at that time we will officially be a family of four. The following day we will head to Hong Kong to spend time with family.
Leah has adjusted to being a big sister remarkably well, although I think the fact that this has been like a big vacation for her has helped. I know that once we are home and Joe goes back to work then the real adjustment period will begin. How I will be keeping two children occupied for eight hours a day I have no idea!
Mom, I am having trouble connecting to e-mail from here. Hope you guys are doing well - I will e-mail as soon as I can!


18 comments:

OziMum said...

So glad things are going so well!

All hail Starbucks!!!

Maya looks like she's been in your arms forever! Enjoy the rest of your time in China!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys are doing so well. That picture w/Joe and his two little ones is adorable!

Glad you found some time to sit and relax with your growing family.

Nicole

Anonymous said...

So cool, I know *exactly* where you're sitting at that Starbucks! Is it as hot as they say this time of year? Precious picture of daddy and his girls. The swearing in ceremony is so moving (even if it looks like you're sitting in the DMV). The minute I raised my hand, we both burst into tears.

P.S., there's this cake they serve at the buffet that we devoured every morning. I can't even describe the taste other than it was buttery goodness. I hope it's still there for you!

--L

LaLa said...

What a sweet pick...She looks so comfortable there : )

Johnny said...

Good to hear all is going well for you and the family.

Shelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelley said...

I love Shamian Island. Try to hit a store called, "A Gift from China" which is a couple of blocks away. Beautiful hand crafted stuff, and jewelry. And the proceeds go to orphanages. A great little store.

wzgirl said...

16 pounds? Now I know for sure you are getting a workout! Nice to hear that Maya has a clean bill of health and that your time in China has been so good. Sweet pictures of sweet faces. XO

Anonymous said...

Glad Maya's check up went okay and that things continue to go well. One handed typing? That's talent!

Intrepidgirl said...

Thanks for sharing the adorable pictures! I think you'll manage two just fine. You seem well adjusted to it already.

Tammy said...

I agree with oximum - Maya does look like she's been in your arms forever.

Great picture of Joe & his princesses.

Everyone will adjust in their own time. You'll find your new normal with two kids - can be a real juggle, but you'll do great.

Let me know how your back and arms feel. I didn't prepare (lift weights) before Allie came home, thinking that I picked up a 35lb kid often - sooooo different from constant holding. You'll need long baths & a massage from the hubster.

Take care - it's good to hear you guys are all well.

granola girl said...

I just got home from vacation and I'm so happy to see you guys are at the White Swan! Your trip is almost over! I remember those days well--only 4 months ago we were there too!!!

You guys look like such a happy little family!

Good luck with those beautiful girls!

Cavatica said...

That's an adorable picture at the pool.

Robin said...

Love the pics!! Maya has such a cute look on her face while sitting on your lap. What a sweetie.

rubyiscoming said...

Good times, good times - you sound great in your post and loved seeing little Maya on your lap :)

Kim

Barbara said...

It is so interesting to see and read of this kind of adoption first hand instead of in the newspaper. Hope that you have a wonderful time throughout the whole trip. I'm sure we will eventually see your beautiful little Maya.

Headmeister said...

AWESOME!!! I love to hear that everything is going so well, and thanks for the tip on the buffet and Starbucks!

Alex Robb said...

Thanks so much for the info on White Swan. We are leaving Wednesday night - Sept. 12 at midnight from LAX for our second daughter. Wanted to know whether that had wireless there - another yo for Starbucks!

Hope to keep our blog going!