Saturday, July 21, 2007

Fun in the (hot) sun


This is how Leah spent part of her afternoon here in Beijing yesterday. I just love the look of pure joy on her face. She was the only kid there and ran around sticking her feet in all the little water falls.

Yesterday we spent the day with Joe's brother Steve and his wife Lucy. They were both such gracious hosts and took us out again for some really delicious meals. Steve also let me use his internet connection at his office to log into my blog and also let me call my Mom on his cell phone to wish her a happy birthday. It was really nice to hear her voice. I am so glad that we came a day early to see them.

Leah has been a really great kid so far, even with the lack of sleep. Actually, last night she did a bit better and got a whole nine hours of sleep in. Of course, it was between the hours of 4 pm to 1 am (sleeping through dinner - do you know how hard it is to use chopsticks with a sleeping 40 pound kid in your lap)? I took a one & a half hour nap yesterday afternoon and then slept last night from 9 pm until Leah woke up at 1 o'clock. Like someone mentioned in a comment earlier, I think I am pretty much running on pure adrenaline right now. Hopefully I won't crash and burn anytime soon.

This morning we will be meeting up with the rest of our travel group (I think about eighteen people) who all arrived late last night. We will be checking out of the hotel at 9 am then heading over for the tours of the Great Wall, Tianamen Square (sp?) and the Forbidden City. After that we are flying out at 8 pm for Nanning, the city in the Guangxi Province where Maya is. We should be meeting her sometime tomorrow. The next time I post I should have pictures of all of us together (and some pictures of our trip to the Great Wall).
Thanks for all of you who are leaving comments. It is so nice to read all of them while we are traveling! Again, Happy birthday MOM! Hope you had a great day! Oh and Sheila, don't forget to pick up the Harry Potter book that was delivered to my house - hope you enjoy reading it and don't tell me what happens!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I love the picture of Leah. She sure looks like she is having a ball. I can't wait for the pictures of all of you with Maya. I will be checking before I go to church. It would be very special if I get to see Maya before church.
Love Mom

Heidijayhawk said...

oh leah looks like such an angel in that picture. how are you even conatining yourself at this point?! i am so excited for you! can't wait to see pics of the whole family. please don't auction off any of those snacks as a blog prize anytime soon!!!

Georgia said...

This is exciting for those of us at home to, who have followed you for so long. I can't wait to see pictures of Maya and your new family of 4.

Anonymous said...

How lucky you are to have two such gorgeous adorable daughters!!

Tammy said...

OMG - I've missed two posts already!! Anyhoo, glad you've all arrived safely & are having a fun time with family - and enjoying the yummy food (except for those fried snacks, ewww).

Leah is such a trooper and that picture of her is super cute. It sure looks like she's having a good time.

How exciting that you meet Miss Maya TOMORROW!! I bet you can not wait to get that little munchkin in your arms. Oooooh, the anticipation. Don't you just want to pinch yourself? So surreal - you're only hours away from meeting your new daughter.

I'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow & look forward (OK, can't wait) to see pictures of Maya with her family.

wzgirl said...

Oh, I was thinking about you and the Harry Potter weekend - nice that someone's got your back! (wink)

All the best in getting some rest and for smooth travels to Nanning. OOOOooo! Pictures of Maya soooooon! Happy4You!

XO

Shelley said...

I think it's great that you took Leah. She is at an age where she will just drink this adventure up.

Gillian is now 8 and still talks all the time about our adoption travels, and gives presentations in school about it.

This experience is one of the best and most unique gifts we can give our older children.

Have fun!! Can't wait to "meet" your new little one! :)

Lisa and Tate said...

What a little trooper Leah is!!! How fun to see that shear joy in her face! Can't wait to see you the family of four!!!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Leah does look very happy! You sound very excited and we are so excited for you guys! We've been thinking about you alot and can't wait until you get home so we can meet Maya!

Love,
Nicole

OziMum said...

All that yummy food?!! Man, think I'm gonna starve in China!!!

Your daughter looks like she's having so much fun!

Good luck today! Meeting your sweet Maya for the first time!

Anonymous said...

Stephanie- I also sent you an email. I know one of the couples traveling with you Antonio and Maryann. Please send my congratulations to them on their adoption as well. It is a very small world!
So glad to hear things are going well-- Leah looks so happy. Maya is adorable!
Marie Farrell